Sunday, July 19, 2009

T-Minus One Day!

So, my first FOCH meeting is at Council tomorrow; both my mom and I will be attending, and possibly a few girls from my former troop. I'm not really quite sure what to expect, and I want to keep it that way - as I don't want to have high hopes and then end up more disappointed with the situation that I already am.

Supposedly, Council is supposed to give us a run down of the damage at camp and approximately how much everything is going to cost. We know that dam and the water treatment plants are in dire need of attention, but perhaps there could be more things that need our help as well. Apparently, the plan is to "winterize" or "snowball" the camp this winter, which would include shutting off all the water, putting anti-freeze in the toilets, and taking all the paintings and artifacts out of the house and the historical Girl Scout museum and putting them in storage. My fear is that once they take all the artifacts out of the museum, they will never put them back...

Camp Crowell/Hilaka has a very rich history, and I would hate to see all of that go down the toilet. I cannot even truly express how many people's lives have been touched by Hilaka. I was at a party last night, and I casually mentioned in conversation what was going on with camp. I didn't even say the name of the camp, just "They are closing my Girl Scout Camp," and shouts of, "Oh no, not Camp Hilaka?" rung out from the crowd. It is amazing when you realize that so many people have personal connections with the camp. Anyone who has ever experienced the camp will always hold it in a special place in their heart. I know I do, as do many of my friends.

I have received an overwhelming response from my fellow campers and former troop members who want to help the effort and save our camp! I hope that you all follow through and let Council and the board know how much Camp Hilaka means to you. We can do this!





1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jacqui,

    Thanks again for doing this. The camp tour has been changed to Augsut 5, however. Will send notes as soon as possible after that.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete